Skelton and Brotton are within easy access of the coast and moorland.
Skelton is situated on a hill with beautiful views of the sea.
It has its own Castle, the original being a wooden structure built around 1100. The castle eventually passed by marriage to its present owners, the Wharton family.
The old church, which is no longer in use, lies to the south west of the Castle. The Churchyards oldest grave bears a headstone of John Slater, who died in September 1632. The new All Saints church, situated on the High Street, was built in 1884 and its tower contains a clock and bells.
For a number of years Skelton had many ironstone mines and these, together with farm labouring were the main source of employment.
Brotton means town on the brow of a hill and was mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The discovery of ironstone brought great change to the village with a tremendous increase in the population. Brotton Mine survived until 1921 when it was finally closed.
The Church of St Margaret of Antioch was built between 1888-1891 and stands in the centre of Brotton.
The Bell Brothers built a hospital which was staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Rood in Middlesbrough and was eventually supported by residents mainly the miners and steelworkers from Skinningrove. Cleveland Cottage Hospital, as it became known, was quite recently closed and replaced by the East Cleveland Hospital. The original hospital building was converted to dwellings.
Today, Skelton and Brotton has a population of 12,000. New development is taking place and there are plans to build a multi-sports activity centre for residents.
The area is popular with walkers. The Cleveland Way, a footpath of national importance, runs through Skelton and Brotton.