Best Allotment Competition 2020
Eligibility - Skelton and Brotton Parish Council Allotment Tenants Only!
Skelton & Brotton Parish Council are inviting entries to a Best Allotment Competition
£25 voucher awarded to best plot per site.
Additional £25 voucher awarded to best plot across all sites.
Terms & Conditions:
1. Entrants must register their entry with the Parish Council by 09:00 on Friday 14 August 2020, by either emailing or ringing the Parish Council:
Telephone: 01287 348008
2. Entrants plots must be open/accessible for judging on Monday 24 August 2020, at the following times:
Cemetery Fields: 08:30 - 10:00
Spring Gardens 10:30 - 12:00
Brotton Park 13:00 - 14:30
3. Any registered plots which are not accessible at these times will be disqualified.
4. Plots will be judged on the following criteria:
- General upkeep of buildings. internal hedges, fencing and pathways
- Plot clear of weeds and rubbish.
- Use of composters, water butts and recycled materials
- Variety of produce.
- Quality of produce.
5. The Judges decision is final.
6. Winners agree to their plot and themselves being photographed, and photographs to be used on the Parish Council website and in local papers.
7. Winners will be informed by Friday 28 August 2020.
Best Allotment Competition Judging Criteria Clarification
To help clarify the judging criteria for the Best Allotment Show please read the following information:
- General upkeep of buildings. internal hedges, fencing and pathways:
10 points will be awarded to plots where buildings are well maintained, internal hedges are neatly cut back, where any fencing is well maintained and where any pathways are neat and well maintained. Points will then be awarded on a sliding scale, down to 0 points where buildings are derelict, hedges overgrown, fencing falling down, or not maintained and pathways are overgrown and not maintained.
- Plot clear of weeds and rubbish:
Points will be awarded depending on how free of weeds and rubbish the plot is, as follows:
Almost completely free of weeds and rubbish 10 points
90% free of weeds and rubbish 9 points
80% free of weeds and rubbish 8 points
70% free of weeds and rubbish 7 points
60% free of weeds and rubbish 6 points
50% free of weeds and rubbish 5 points
40% free of weeds and rubbish 4 points
30% free of weeds and rubbish 3 points
20% free of weeds and rubbish 2 points
10% free of weeds and rubbish 1 point
Almost totally covered in weeds and rubbish 0 points
- Use of composters, water butts and recycled materials:
Use of composters, recycled materials and water butts wherever possible will be awarded 10 points. Points will then be awarded on a sliding scale down to 0 points in plots where there is no use of composters, recycled materials or water butts.
- Variety of produce:
10 points will be awarded to plots showing many different kinds of produce, including fruit, vegetables and flowers. Points will then be awarded on a sliding scale down to 0 points for plots where there is little or no cultivation.
- Quality of produce:
Produce will be judged on what can be seen above ground, and will incorporate fruit, vegetables and flowers. If entrants wish to dig up some of their vegetables to put on display for the Judges they may.
Points will be awarded on a sliding scale from 10 to 0, with 10 points being awarded for produce deemed to be excellent quality, down to 0 points where quality is deemed to be extremely poor.
If you have any further queries please contact the Parish Council Office on
Please remember to maintain a 2 metre social distance if you are on your plot during judging